Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Planning a Website [Revised]

DESIGN PLAN

 Creating a personal portfolio-type website.

   
     I want to create the foundation of a portfolio website with HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript that will allow me to [in the future] finish a website that demonstrates that I am a creative, technically savvy, worth interviewing/hiring student, to a potential HR department or someone interested in knowing more about me - allowing the interested party a way of getting to know me without having personal interaction, without alienating the audience by making the website too technically advanced. I am responsible for a current, up-to-date website that supplies a seamless ability to connect. 



    A foundation for a portfolio website, should be the ground for expansion. It should allow for me to build off of, it should be similar to a template that allows for customization, but the major design is already defined. It should be something that would allow the creation of other webpages, not just the index, to be quick and organized.
    
    To achieve this there are many things that need to be accounted for, from the strategies to how I am going to arrange the work. To create the website, I am going to use HTML5, JavaScript, and CSS3. This allows the website to be up-to-date with current technological advances. Creating with those languages allows for the website to be viewed on mobile platforms, this gives a separate audience along with any potential desktop/laptop users. The use of JavaScript is to further allow customization, that is not default with HTML5. This medium (a website), shows that I am creative and technically savvy.

     To be able to convince a party that I am worth hiring, the website needs to be designed in a way that is unique, but simple. It needs to show that I am not just a student, it needs to separate me from the pack. To achieve this there will need to be multiple designs created, and tested. This is were the arrangement of the website is going to be created, there needs to be enough ideas that it forces some of them to be unique. With it being unique it has to be simple, it cannot be too extravagant to make the user feel inadequate. In order to make it unique, I am going to have to stay away from a cookie cutter template, as well as include many of my personal interests.

    Once the designs are created, each should be tested for how fluent and useful they would be by someone other than myself. After one design is chosen, the website will be programmed/built. After the website is 'complete', it should then be tested by people that have never seen it before. This allows for testing with an unbiased base. With the feedback from this, it can be used to change the website to make it better. It should then continue to be tested and fixed, until it is seamless. At this point, it should be able to be released.

1 comment:

  1. this sounds like an amazing project. You've given yourself some wiggle room, which is fine. I think that you have a clear concept for what you are doing and solid concrete details about how you will do it. Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete